While some products come and go without much impression on people, there are products that sell so well they are kept in our shopping lists over and over again. Come to think of it, these top selling products did not just break sales records, but shaped entire industries, and has set a trend which other businesses have no choice but to follow if they wanted a slice of its market.
Although the best-selling products of all time usually stem from niche markets, the key behind creating it is innovation. These products are usually the first of their kind and are so revolutionary that they quickly become must-haves and on top of everybody’s shopping list, generating enough demand that other companies try emulate it.
Based on 24/7 Wall St.’s review on a wide array of products in different categories organized according to their sales numbers, here is the list of the top 10 best-selling products of all time:
10. PlayStation: Sony Corporation PlayStation is one of the best-selling products of all time.
9. Lipitor: Although it is not the typical consumer product that comes to mind, Lipitor, a pharmaceutical drug prescribed to patients with high cholesterol to reduce the risk of heart disease made it to the 9th.
8. Corolla: Toyota Motor Corporation has sold millions of units of its Corolla model. In its 11th generation, it continues to enjoy a great reputation as an affordable and reliable vehicle.
7. Star Wars: The two Star Wars trilogies brought in billions in sales combined, making it one of the most successful film sagas of all time.
6. iPad: Apple Inc.’s iPad revolutionized the industry by bringing about the tablet as a common accessory in offices and homes alike. The iPad remains the most popular tablet on the market.
5. Mario Bros. Franchise: The easily recognizable plumber brothers have made it into 115 different titles and even managed to get their own cartoon series and live-action movie, making Mario the most popular video game character of all time.
4. Michael Jackson’s Thriller: The King of Pop’s album Thriller was not only sold 70 million times, but also brought about a huge change in pop culture.
3. Harry Potter: It is would be almost impossible to find one person today who doesn’t have at least a slight idea of who Harry Potter is. With more than 450 million copies sold in over 73 languages, the Harry Potter books have become the best-selling book series of all time.
2. iPhone: Apple Inc. makes it second appearance on this list with its iPhone. The smartphone which is now in its 6th generation continues to break records in the mobile industry.
1. Rubik’s Cube: In a way, this might be the most basic item on our list, yet it remains by far the best-selling product of all time. No other toy can compete with it. The cube continues to be sold in the original form it was created in 1974.